Can You Eat Dry Ice?

You have probably heard about dry ice. Dry ice is a solid carbon dioxide that can be very useful for science, cleaning or refrigeration.

But, can we eat dry ice or it may be harmful? You will get the answers if you continue to read this article. First we will tell you some important things about dry ice.

More about Dry Ice

Dry ice is a form of frozen carbon dioxide and it does not melt. At atmospheric pressure dry ice goes straight from solid to a gas form, which is called sublimation.

If you put a piece of dry ice in water, do you know what will happen? The carbon dioxide will turn to gas and then it will probably bubble out. It is known that carbon dioxide gas is very toxic, especially if you breathe it in high concentrations. You should be careful when you handle dry ice. It is recommended to use gloves or tongs in order to avoid frostbite.

Is Dry Ice Safe to Eat?

The answer is no. You should never eat dry ice because it can be very dangerous. Although dry ice may be very interesting for science, it is not recommended to eat it. Dry ice can be even more dangerous if it is not stored and used properly. Proper storage is the most important if you want to use dry ice safely.

If you put dry ice into water and drink this water, it won’t do you any harm. This way you are creating carbonic water and if you drink it in moderation nothing bad will happen. But it is important not to ingest any of the frozen dry ice itself. You should know that dry ice is much heavier than water so it will sink to the bottom of the glass. A small piece of dry ice in the bottom of your water is not dangerous. But, there is one more thing you should know.

When dry ice is almost gone in the bottom of the glass, a layer of water will freeze around the rest of the dry ice. It will float to the top of the glass, but you should have in mind that there is still a piece of dry ice inside the regular ice and you must remove it from your drink. You should never ingest dry ice because it will cause frostbite inside your stomach.

Also, you can eat food with a dry ice in it, but you should never consume dry ice itself. It is much colder than regular ice and it can burn your skin. Dry ice can damage your body, so be careful.

Also, if you eat dry ice it can cause you gas and your mouth will burn. It is also important not to place dry ice in airtight containers because they can explode. It is best to use non-glass containers. Dry ice should not be stored in the fridge or in the freezer. You should store it in an insulated cooler and you should never pack it in direct contact with glass jars or bottles.


We hope this article was interesting for you and that you have learned something that you didn’t know before.

As you have seen, dry ice is not safe to eat, so you should avoid using it. Dry ice is much colder than regular ice and it should never be ingested. Dry ice can cause gas and even frostbite. But, a good thing is that you will not get poisoned if you drink a liquid that is cooled by dry ice.