If taking a shower is monotonous for you, then why don’t you try to add a dimension to it using bath salts? Let’s see what these substances are. Bath salts are water-soluble, pulverized minerals that can be poured into water to be used for bathing. These substances are both cheap and so easy to use that anyone can learn it.
Besides, using bath salts during taking a shower is a refreshing experience. Let’s find out some basic facts about bath salts and how they can be used.
Basic features of bath salts
Bath salts and their benefits were known in ancient times. The earliest writings of the different kinds of bath salts, their uses, and methods of extraction were published around 2700 in Chine BCE. Hippocrates recommended treating various ailments by immersing into sea water.
One of the main ingredients of bath salts is glycerin, or liquid glycerin that acts like an emollient, humectant andd lubricant. Other common additives are oils, colours and fragrances.
Bath salts are available in various colours, shapes, sizes and textures. When you add them to water, they will change its colour. That’s why they look very beautiful in jars and vases. As for the size, bath salts can be large-grain, which take longer to dissolve in water, and small-grain ones, which dissolve more easily. They usually come beautifully packed.
Bath salts can also be scented or plain, unscented. Scented bath salts come in different scents and fragrances.
What should you have in mind when choosing bath salts?
Bath salts can be natural or processed. It’s always a better idea to use completely pure and natural ones of the highest quality in order to reap the best benefits since they contain numerous minerals that may be lost in processed salts.
Also, make sure to find the bath salt that is most suitable for you. One of the aspects you should have in mind are the colours, since they are believed to have an effect on mood. For example, you can try yellow, orange or red bath salts if you feel like you are lacking energy (warm colours are known to energize) or blue ones if you are anxious, since blue is a colour famous for its calming effects.
In the following lines we will read about amazing benefits of bath salts.
What are the benefits bath salts deliver?
– Bath salts are known to be one of the key factors to beautiful and healthy skin thanks to the content of various nutrients and minerals, such as potassium, bromide, calcium, magnesium and sodium. All these ingredients soften the skin.
– They also detoxify and clean the skin thoroughly by removing all the impurities. Your skin then has a natural glow.
– These salts make you forget about your overloaded daily schedule and challenges of the day since they have relaxing effects on your body.
– Thanks to their calming properties, bath salts have amazing health benefits. They may lower a high blood pressure, help treating muscle soreness and other issues like insomnia and itchiness.
– Since bath salts can also be used as cleansers and scrubs and their fragrance is divine, they allow you to experience something more than mere taking a shower.
Now that you know how amazing bath salts are, it’s time to find out how to properly use them.
How to use bath salts?
Bath salts can be used not only for bathing, but as scrubs, cleansers, for exfoliation and many more. Using bath salts is very simple. You can read about a few procedures of their use in the following lines.
The first way
You will need a drawstring cheesecloth bag or cheesecloth and string.
Fill a drawstring cheesecloth bag with a few tablespoons to two cups of bath salts. If you don’t have this kind of bag, you can make it by yourself by pouring the bath salts into the middle of a 6-inch or larger square cheesecloth. The cheesecloth size depends on the amount of salt. Then draw the corners of the cloth up and tie a piece of string around them to fix the salts in. Fill the bathtub with water. It’s up to you how much water you will use and what temperature. Drop the bag with the salts into the water and swirl it around a bit to dissolve the salts. When you finish bathing, rinse the bag out with fresh water, then drape it over the faucet or shower rod to dry.
The second way
Fill the bathtub to the desired level. Pour a handful or two of bath salts into the bath by holding your hand under the faucet, so that they fall with the water into the tub. The fragrance of the bath salts will be gradually released as you are putting them into the water. When they are poured into hot water, bath salts will dissolve quickly, depending on their size. Once you poured the desired amount of bath salts, you are ready to let their magic unwind you from your busy and stressful life. Make sure to stir the salts and circulate them from time to time, so that they can fully release their fragrances.
Bath salts for exfoliation
As it has been already mentioned, you can also use bath salts for exfoliation. Just take a small handful of fine-grain bath salts and add a tiny amount of water. Form a paste out of this mixture and apply it to your skin. If you use this paste regularly, your skin will be very soft and smooth and its natural beauty will be revealed.
Tips for using bath salts
– The best time for using bath salts in order to completely relax and achieve mental and physical balance is at the end of a day.
– In case you have open sores on the surface of your skin, avoid using bath salts because your skin may become irritated. Try not to shave when you use the salts since that may lead to irritation too.
– Dry and cool places are the best for storing bath salts.
– If you don’t feel like using readymade bath salts, you can make your own. All you have to do for that matter is to mix sea salts, Epsom salts and essential oils in appropriate amounts.
Are baths salts suitable for everyone?
Unless there isn’t any underlying medical condition for which bath salts aren’t recommended, anyone can enjoy their benefits, even children of any age. However, if you are allergic to some ingredient of bath salts or if you are pregnant, consult your doctor before you start using them. This is also true if you have any chronic health issue, such as diabetes or high blood pressure.
Unless your doctor says otherwise, feel free to introduce these incredible substances into your bathing routine and make an ordinary taking a shower more interesting and exciting experience.