Can You Eat Mushrooms Raw?

For thousands of years mushrooms have been used both as a food and medicine. There are many varieties of mushrooms that have been used as an effective medicine for treating many health conditions. It is known that mushrooms can boost our immune system and reduce the risk of many health problems.

Most people eat mushrooms cooked, but what about raw mushrooms? Can we also eat them or it is not recommended?

In this article we will see is it good to eat mushrooms raw. If you also love mushrooms, this article will be interesting and useful for you. So, let’s start.

More about Mushrooms

A mushroom is a fleshy fruiting body of a fungus that is typically produced above ground. Mushrooms are fungi that have a stem and a cap. They also have gills which produce microscopic spores. These spores help a fungus spread across the ground.

Mushrooms are used in cuisines all around the world. They are low in calories and fat so they can help in weight loss. A typical serving of fresh mushrooms (100 g) has only 27 calories. Mushrooms are rich in vitamins, such as niacin, riboflavin and pantothenic acid, and minerals such as copper, potassium, calcium, phosphorus and selenium. Their carbohydrate content is also low.

Most mushrooms that we buy at supermarkets are commercially grown on mushroom farms. But, there are some species of mushrooms that are poisonous. They may resemble some edible species, but they can cause many health problems and even death.

Nowadays China is considered the largest edible mushroom producer in the world. Mushrooms are also used for medicinal purposes. There are many species of mushrooms that have therapeutic properties. They are known for their antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-viral and anti-microbial properties. There’s no doubt that mushrooms have many health benefits for people, but what is the best way to eat them? Can we eat mushrooms raw? Read on this article and you will find out soon.

Is it Safe to Eat Mushrooms Raw?

Unfortunately, the answer is no. Although it is not really safe, many people eat mushrooms raw. Actually, mushrooms have very tough cell walls and they are indigestible if you don’t cook them. You should always cook mushrooms because cooking will break down the cell walls and make mushrooms easier to digest.

Also, when you cook mushrooms, they release the nutrients, such as vitamins, minerals and protein. If you want to benefit from all these nutrients, it is best to cook your mushrooms thoroughly. If you eat mushrooms raw you can get diarrhea, stomach upset and other gastrointestinal problems.

Also, some studies have shown that raw mushrooms may contain a small amount of toxins that are sometimes considered carcinogens. Some experts also recommend us to avoid any kind of raw mushrooms, even those that you get on your salad in a restaurant.

Although it is not recommended to eat raw mushrooms, many people enjoy eating them raw. They put raw mushrooms in salads because they have a milder taste and a firmer texture. Some people don’t experience any side effects after eating raw mushrooms. In this case it is recommended to eat white mushrooms that are commercially grown. If you buy mushrooms at a grocery store or supermarket, you can be sure that they are not poisonous. But, there are many varieties of wild mushrooms that are edible, but they contain compounds that can make you sick if they are not cooked. It is very important not to pick and eat mushrooms yourself without consulting an expert.

If you experience any digestive problems, you should stop eating mushrooms. Also, you should consult your health provider as soon as possible.


As you have seen in this article, many people eat mushrooms raw, but it is not a good idea. Experts recommend us to cook mushrooms in order to avoid any gastrointestinal and other health problems. If you eat mushrooms raw, it can lead to many side effects, such as diarrhea, vomiting or even some serious complications.

As we have already said, there are some varieties of mushrooms that can be poisonous when consumed raw, but they are edible and delicious when cooked. It is possible that nothing bad will happen if you eat a small amount of mushrooms raw, but in general, you should eat them cooked. With cooking you will get the maximum of mushroom benefits.

Remember that there are many varieties that are poisonous, so you should never pick mushrooms yourself in the wild. If you are not sure whether a certain variety of mushrooms is edible, it is best to consult an expert. Now that you know more about mushrooms and what can happen if you eat them raw, we are sure that you will cook them thoroughly to avoid any health risks.